2021 Autocross Rules and Points
A. GENERAL CONDUCT:
1. Unsafe behavior will not be tolerated. Anyone violating this rule will be asked to immediately leave the premises and will forfeit registration fees.
2. No alcohol or drugs are permitted on the premises, including during course setup and registration, run sessions, fun runs, and course breakdown.
3. No pets are allowed under any circumstances – No exceptions.
4. Lone Star Chapter autocross events run RAIN OR SHINE. In the event that severe weather causes the cancellation of an event (ice, tornado, etc), every effort will be made to notify attendees, generally via a posting to LSC BMW CCA Facebook page and via Twitter @LoneStarAutoX. In the event that lightning occurs in the area during an event, all participants will be encouraged to take shelter for 15-30 minutes.
1. For the 2021 Season, all registration and payment for each event will be handled on-line at DLB Racing. On-line registration for each event will commence at 12 am on the third Saturday prior to the event and will subsequently close at 6 pm on the Friday prior to the event. Any prospective entrants that are experiencing technical problems with online registration or other related issues should contact the autocross chairman for further assistance. Registration and payment for the event will be available on site for an extra fee as long as maximum capacity has NOT been reached.
2. LSC BMW CCA members and their guests may compete in any automobile that passes a technical inspection. Licensed minors 16 years and older may participate in the event only with written parental consent. If the parent will not be not on site, confirmation of permission must be made by downloading and printing the minor release form IN COLOR. Parents will need to sign the waiver and have it notarized and the minor participant must bring it to the event and present it to the event chairperson. Minors under 16 may only ride in a vehicle owned and driven by their parent during fun runs (if conducted).
3. LSC BMW CCA autocross committee members will assist their guests with tech inspection to ensure their car can be safely driven on the course.
4. All persons present at the event must sign a waiver. Minors (under 18) must have a minor release form signed by parent or guardian.
5. All participants must submit their vehicle for Technical Inspection prior to the drivers meeting. An event organizer will assist in confirming driver(s), car number (s), and classification, At this time the driver will receive a course map and a “tech inspection passed” sticker that is placed on the outside of the front windshield in the upper corner on the driver’s side.
6. All participants must attend the drivers meeting. This meeting, led by the Event Chairperson, lasts about 15 minutes and addresses:
– Safety of all participants and bystanders – on and off the course
– Corner workers’ responsibilities (e.g., when to use red flags, proper 2-way radio operation, calling in time penalties for knocked down cones)
– Run classes and session times
– Course overview and Q&A
7. All participants must be available to work during the entire event, at the Event Chairperson’s direction. If you are unable to work your assigned time slots, please check with the Event Chairperson. Failure to work the event will result in a disqualification of all runs completed that day and forfeiture of any season points that would have been earned.
8. “Fun Runs” (if time permits, and approved by the Event Chairperson) will be held after the formal event is completed.
9. Refund policy. There are no refunds once an event has been paid for.
C. SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
1. A Snell M-2010/SA-2010 or newer helmet must be worn by any driver or passengers. There are loaner helmets available to be used by participants that do not have their own helmet.
2. Metal to metal seat belts for drivers and passengers must be worn at all times on the course.
3. ALL loose/non-permanent objects must be removed from car’s interior, glove box, and trunk for the vehicle to pass tech inspection. Please check under seats. Hubcaps must be removed.
4. OTEs (off track excursions) off the tarmac, striking the timer lights, or any other actions considered reckless will result in a mandatory meeting between the driver and the Event Chairperson before the driver is allowed back on course. The severity and cause of each incident will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Repercussions, if any, will be determined by the Event Chairperson. Complete destruction of a timer light generally results in a $250 fee for the responsible driver (our cost).
1. The number of timed runs per driver (usually 10) will be determined by the Event Chairperson.
2. Passengers are NOT permitted, however a designated instructor can ride with an entrant, and entrants may ride with a designated instructor in order to assist with the entrant learning the course.
3. An entrant may only compete and earn points in one class per event.
4. Time penalties:
– 1 second per each cone knocked “down and out” of square. This includes directional cones or cones that form a wall or a stop box. There is no maximum number of cone penalties per run.
– A car is disqualified for a given run for a DNF (did not finish) if it leaves the course and does not re-enter the course at the same location where it left. All cars that DNF should continue to follow the course to the Finish line. DNFs will not be given a run time, however drivers may request feedback as to where the DNF occurred.
E. EVENT SCORING SYSTEM FOR 2021:
Every car whose driver completes all required corner work duties is eligible to receive scoring points according to the time standing in the driver’s class. A driver is allowed to receive points in only one class and one position per event. Points will be scored as follows:
Position Points per Class
10 points- First place
8 points- Second place
6 points- Third place
4 points- Fourth place
3 points- Fifth place
2 points – Sixth place
1 point– Seventh place and all other participants in class
At the end of the year, trophies will be awarded in each class for the three highest points scores, with the exception of Novice Class where six trophies will be awarded (i.e., 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Class C, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Class D, etc.). The trophies will be awarded at the Lone Star Chapter Meeting/Awards Event in January / February 2021. Trophies are reserved for competitors who have attended AT LEAST five events in the same class for the 2021 year, with the seven highest scoring events (out of the NINE scheduled events for 2021) being counted as points events. If a driver changes class(es) during the season, any points accumulated in a given class will remain with that class and cannot be combined with points in any other class. In the event of a position points tie at the end of the year in a particular class, each driver’s best times from all events in which the tying competitors both competed will be added up and the lowest aggregate time will determine the winner of that position.
The LSC Autocross Committee reserves the right to make modifications to the rules and regulations, car classifications, and base and modification points, as it sees appropriate to promote fair competition.
F. CAR CLASSIFICATIONS:
All cars are generally classified by their overall performance capabilities. There are two main groupings for classifying cars – BMWs and non-BMWs.
BMWs and MINIs may only register in classes C thru H (exceptions may be provided by the LSC Autocross committee) .
Non-BMWs may only register in classes X thru Z.
NOTE: Drivers may, at their option, register their car and compete in a more competitive class than that in which their car is normally classified. For example, a BMW whose base and modifications points falls into Class C may register for any or all events in class E. Drivers who intend to make modifications to their car as the season progresses would be best served to take advantage of this option!
Any driver new to autocross may register in the Novice Class with a BMW / Mini or other car. A driver that has participated in more than 4 events in a calendar year should not participate in the Novice Class in following years. In addition, if a driver places in the top 3 at any event in the Novice class, the driver is not eligible to participate in the Novice Class in following years.
BMWs and MINIs are assigned base points for STOCK performance capabilities and receive additional points for MODIFICATIONS to the stock setup. The sum of these points will determine what class the vehicle will compete in. BMW and MINI complete in Class C through Class H, with Class H being the highest performance and/or more modified cars.
Classification Point Ranges
Class C: 0 to 47 points
Class D: 48 to 55 points
Class E: 56 to 63 points
Class F: 64 to 71 points
Class G: 72 to 79 points
Class H: 80 points and higher
Non-BMW classes are X thru Z and placement is based on manufacturers’ published engine displacement specifications. Engine displacement is rounded to the nearest tenth of a liter. For example, 2,948cc = 2.9L, whereas 2,950cc = 3.0L.
– A forced induction displacement multiplier of 1.5 is applied to all non-BMW turbocharged and supercharged engines. For example, a 2.0L turbo engine is classified as a 2.0L X 1.5 = 3.0L engine. This multiplier applies whether the forced induction is done by the original manufacturer or installed as an aftermarket upgrade.
– Rotary engines are assessed a displacement multiplier of 2.0. For example, a 1.3L rotary engine is classified as a 1.3L X 2.0 = 2.6L engine
NOTE: Rotary engines that have forced induction are assessed both displacement multipliers. For example, a 1.3L turbo rotary engine is classified as 1.3L X 1.5 X 2 = 3.9L
Class X: Non-BMW vehicles less than 2.1 liters (except S2000 and Lotus Elise)
Class Y: Non-BMW vehicles greater than 2.1 liters and less than 4.0 liters. (including S2000 & Elise)
Class Z : Non-BMW vehicles 4.0 liters and above and fully electric cars
The use of “R” compound or “slick” tires on a Non-BMW moves the vehicle up to the next higher class.
Base Model Points (BMW / MINI)
|Model||Start Year||End Year||Base Points|
|1800TI – 4 Dr||1964||1966||0|
|330i E46 ZHP||2003||2006||49|
|428i/430i coupe & gran coupe||2014||50|
|435i/440i coupe & gran coupe||2014||58|
|528i (F10 – Inline 6)||2011||2011||34|
|528i (F10 – Inline 4)||2012||2016||38|
|640i Coupe/Gran Coupe||2012||2018||42|
|650i Coupe/Gran Coupe||2012||2018||46|
|Active Hybrid 3||2013||50|
|Active Hybrid 5||2012||40|
|Active Hybrid 7 i/Li||2010||30|
|M2 Comp Pkg||2019||72|
|M3 E46 Comp Pkg||2005||2005||63|
|M3 F80 Comp Pkg||2015||2018||72|
|M4 F82 Comp Pkg||2016||72|
|M4 CS F82||2016||74|
|M4 GTS F82||2016||75|
|M Coupe/Roadster (Z3)||1998||2000||55|
|M Coupe/Roadster (Z3)||2001||2002||59|
|M Coupe/Roadster (Z4)||2006||2008||66|
|X1 sDrive 28i / X1 xDrive 28i||2013||2015||28|
|X1 sDrive 28i / X1 xDrive 28i||2016||26|
|X1 xDrive 35i||2013||2015||34|
|X3 sDrive 28i / X3 xDrive 28i||2011||28|
|X3 xDrive 28d||2015||24|
|X3 xDrive 35i||2011||32|
|X4 xDrive 28i||2015||30|
|X4 xDrive 35i/M40i||2015||34|
|X5 xDrive 30i||2009||2010||23|
|X5 xDrive 35d||2010||2010||26|
|X5 xDrive 48i||2009||2010||28|
|X5 sDrive 35i||2014||29|
|X5 xDrive 35i||2011||29|
|X5 xDrive 35d||2011||26|
|X5 xDrive 40e||2017||26|
|X5 xDrive 50i||2011||36|
|X6 sDrive 35i / X6 xDrive 35i||2008||33|
|X6 xDrive 50i||2008||38|
|Z4 Coupe 3.0si||2006||2008||59|
|Z4 sDrive 28i||2012||2016||57|
|Z4 sDrive 30i||2010||2010||57|
|Z4 sDrive 35i||2010||2016||59|
|Z4 sDrive 35is||2010||2016||61|
|Mini Cooper S||2002||2006||40|
|Mini Cooper S Works||2002||2006||47|
|Mini Cooper GP||2006||2006||54|
|Mini Clubman S||2008||2016||43|
|Mini Cooper S||2007||2013||45|
|Mini Cooper S Works||2008||2013||50|
|Mini Clubman S Works||2008||2014||48|
|Mini Countryman S||2011||43|
|Mini Paceman S||2014||43|
|Mini Cooper S||2014||48|
|Mini Coupe S||2012||2015||47|
|Mini Roadster S||2012||2015||47|
Modification Points (BMW / MINI)
|MINI JCW Package 2010+||5|
|Factory Sports Package (is or ti Sport)||2|
|Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)||-3|
|Wagon or GT (e.g. F30 based 328GT)||-1|
|Exhaust headers (Non OEM)||1|
|Aftermarket cat-back exhaust||1|
|Weber 32/36 DGV downdraft (each)||2||Yes|
|Sidedraft 2bbl carb (each)||2||Yes|
|Performance cam (Non OEM)||3|
|Increased Compression Pistons (Non OEM)||3|
|Power chip/software update||3|
|ECU Upgrade (Turbo Cars)||5|
|Turbocharger/Supercharger (not factory installed)||10|
|Upgraded Motor Swaps||10|
|HFM upgrades + chip/software||5|
|Aftermarket filter (in factory airbox)||0|
|Unshielded / Unshielded aftermarket cone filter||1|
|Upgrade from open diff to OEM LSD (no ratio change)||2|
|Upgrade to higher ratio diff (LSD or not)||3|
|5/6 speed close ration transmission (Non OEM)||2|
|SMG or DCT||2|
|Factory AWD/4WD (M-models post 2017)||3|
|Sport Shocks (Non Adjustable i.e. Bilstein Sports)||1|
| Sport Shocks (Single or Double Adjustable i.e. Koni)
|Sport Springs (Fixed Height, Non-Adjustable)||1|
| Coilovers (i.e. Bilstein PSS9, KW’s, AST) If selected, do not select shocks & springs.
|Sway bar (Non OEM) (each)||1||Yes|
|Bolt-on chassis reinforcements (each) (X-braces, strut bars)||1||Yes|
|Modified front camber||2|
|Modified rear camber||0|
|Quick ratio steering||2|
|Active Roll Stabilization||2|
WHEELS, TIRES & OTHER
|Plus 0 – Any size tire on OE diameter wheel||0|
|Plus 1 – Any size tire on wheel 1″ > than OE||1|
|Plus 2 – Any size tire on wheel 2″ > than OE||2|
|Plus 3 – Any size tire on wheel 3″ > than OE||3|
|200 Treadwear Tires (RE-71, RS3/RS4, Yoko A052, etc)||5|
|R compound tires (<200 TW)||7||Multiples|
|Racing Seat(s) – (Only count once)||2|
|Extensive Lightening (fiberglass hood, seats removed)||5|
|Bolt-in or Welded-in roll bar/cage||0||Safety|
|4, 5, or 6 Point Harness||0||Safety|